MacDowell Music Club's history in Janesville began on January 19, 1903, when a group of pianists organized the Pianists' Club.
At its fourth meeting on March 16, 1903, the membership voted to change the name to the Schumann Club. At that time, the
club met in members' homes. Concerts and operas were presented in Library Hall and Myers Grand Opera House. In 1912, the
Schumann Club was renamed the MacDowell Club in honor of Edward MacDowell, then considered to be the country's
Membership in the Wisconsin Federation of Music Clubs was voted in 1913. Mrs. MacDowell visited in 1914 and spoke about
the MacDowell Colony. She urged the group to help federate the MacDowell Clubs throughout the country. Membership in the
National Federation of Music Clubs was voted in 1918. The MacDowell Music Club's first meetings were held at the Janesville
Woman's Club in 1928 and it has been our "home" ever since.
|© 2012 MacDowell Music Club / Janesville Wisconsin